Guidance for Proceedings Authors
SOLICITATION AND TOPICS
The 2018 Central States VHF Society Conference is soliciting papers for publishing in its Proceedings of the 2018 Central States VHF Conference on all weak-signal VHF and above amateur radio topics, including:
- Antennas: including Modeling, Design, Arrays, and Control
- Test Equipment: including Homebrew, Commercial, and Measurement Techniques & Tips
- Construction of equipment such as Transmitters, Receivers, and Transverters
- Operating: including Contesting, Roving, and DXpeditions
- RF power amps: including Single and Multi-band Vacuum Tube, Solid-state, and TWTAs
- Propagation: including Ducting, Sporadic E, Tropospheric, Meteor Scatter, etc.
- Pre-amplifiers (low noise)
- Digital Modes such as WSJT, JT65, FT8, JT6M, ISCAT, etc
- Regulatory topics
- Moon Bounce (EME)
- Software-defined Radio (SDR)
- Digital Signal Processing (DSP)
Topics such as FM, repeaters, packet radio, etc., are generally considered outside of the scope of papers being sought. However, there are always exceptions. Please contact the point of contact below if you have any questions about the suitability of a particular topic.
You do not need to attend the conference nor present your paper to have it published in the Proceedings. Posters will be displayed during the Conference.
KEY SUBMISSION DEADLINES
- For inclusion in the Proceedings: TUESDAY, 15 MAY 2018
- Submissions accepted via email, Dropbox, CD/DVD, USB stick/thumb drive, etc.
- Contact the Proceedings point of contact prior to submitting formats other than those listed above.
- Submissions using any form of previously published or copyrighted material MUST include the copyright statement and written permission for reproduction.
- Authors retain copyright to the work. By submission, authors consent to publication in the Proceedings, both printed as well as electronic (if offered).
POINTS OF CONTACT
- Kent Britian, WA5VJB
- Snail mail: 1626 Vineyard Rd, Grand Prarie, TX 75052
- Donn Baker, WA2VOI
- Snail mail: 3128 Silver Lake Road, Minneapolis, MN 55418-2426
- We discourage the submission of PowerPoint slides. Slides are intended for
visual presentations and seldom are formatted for, nor contain enough
material to adequately explain or discuss a topic. Microsoft Excel
spreadsheets may be included as a part of a paper but not as a “standalone”
- The Proceedings will be printed in black and white/grayscale; no color.
- All papers should be in electronic format. Microsoft Word is the preferred format. PDF is acceptable, provided that all fonts are embedded. Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint formats are also acceptable, if necessary. (But see above regarding Power Point Slides.)
- Paper: 8½ x 11-inches.
- Margins: Top and side margins should be 0.75-inches; bottom margin must be 1-inch.
- Font: 12-pt Ariel or Times New Roman fonts are preferred. Font and text size may be modified by the publisher during final editing if necessary to enhance readability, or to better fit available space.
- Layout: One-column layout is preferred, however two-column format is acceptable.
- Page numbers: Page numbers should not be included, as they will be added by the publisher during final editing.
- Headers/Footers: Do not include any header or footer content, as it will likely be removed by the publisher during final editing.
- Drawings: Drawings should be embedded in the files, or sent separately for placement during final editing. Author should either place drawings where they should appear, their placement should be indicated within the text. If placement is not indicated, drawings will be placed after the text. Drawings and illustrations should be made with heavy lines, and clearly drawn. Schematics, etc., should be formatted to fill a major portion of a page, and be divided so that they are not overly complex. Graphs, charts, and drawings illustrating multiple variables, results, or conditions should feature different line styles (instead of colors), as the Proceedings will be printed in black and white/grayscale.
- Multi-colored graphs, etc, will be in shades of gray.
- Photos: Photos should be high-resolution and converted to grayscale for printing. Author should either place photos where they should appear, their placement should be indicated within the text. If placement is not indicated, photos will be placed after the text.
- Label all drawings, illustrations, and photos clearly.
- Printing: We print what we receive. We do not copy edit (but will correct something if we notice it – or if you notice it and let us know). We do try to make all papers somewhat uniform, but we do not redo each article. Page numbers are added as we prepare the files for our printer.